A final reminder that tomorrow is the deadline for stories for my upcoming widower dating guide. Specifically, I’m looking for stories that relate to the following situations:
- How soon did you start dating after the death of your late wife? Why did you feel like dating again? If it was less than a year after her death, how did you overcome any negative reactions from friends and family once they found out you were dating again?
- How did you overcome any guilt that came with dating again and/or starting a serious relationship?
- Once you became serious with someone, how did you make room in your life and in your heart for someone else?
- How did you handle grown, adult children that weren't happy that you were in a new relationship?
- How did you handle minor children living at home who weren't happy that you were in a new relationship?
- What did you do with the late wife’s photographs, clothing and other possessions once you were married or had the new woman move into your home?
- Were you able to maintain a relationship with the late wife’s family and your new love?
- What is the best thing about falling in love and starting a new chapter of your life with someone else?
Your story doesn't have to have a happy ending. If things didn't work out, I want to hear from too as there’s something to be learned from good and bad experiences.
To submit your story for consideration, send it to me via email. Please keep submissions between 250 – 700 words. You can submit more than one story but please send them in different emails. (This way I can sort them by topic better.) All submissions must be received by July 31, 2013. The author of any story that makes it into the book will receive a free copy of the yet-to-be-titled dating guide upon publication. To protect your privacy, you can publish your story under a pen name if you wish. I’m hoping to have the dating guide available sometime this fall.